'Secondary Suite' means a dwelling unit that is an accessory to a single detached dwelling and is comprised of one or more habitable rooms, intended for use as a separate and independent residence. A secondary suite contains sleeping facilities, a bathroom, and cooking facilities that are for the exclusive use of the occupant(s) of the suite.
- May not exceed 90m2 in total floor area or 40% of the habitable floor space of the building, whichever is less
- Must be fully contained within the principal residence
- Each dwelling with a suite is required to provide an additional off-street parking space. Two parking spaces are required for the principal dwelling, plus one additional space for the suite for a total of three off-street parking spaces.
- Is only permitted in an owner-occupied single family dwelling. Secondary Suites are not permitted in multi-family dwellings, duplexes, mobile homes, or commercial/industrial buildings.
- Must have a civic address assigned by the City Building Inspector or Manager of Planning.