Running for Council
Running for Council
To run for local government office, at the time of nomination, you must:
- Be a Canadian citizen; AND
- Be 18 years of age or older (October 15, 2004) on or before general voting day; AND
- Have lived in British Columbia for at least six months (April 14, 2022, is the last day to meet the six-month residency requirement for candidates); AND
- Not be disqualified by any law or statute from being nominated, elected or holding office.
There is no requirement for a candidate to be a resident or own property in the municipality.
Candidate nomination packages may be picked up at City Hall during regular office hours (8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday excluding statutory holidays), starting at 8:30 am on Friday, July 29, 2022.
Nomination papers must be filed with the Chief Election Officer (250 720-2810), at City Hall, during regular office hours, commencing at 9:00 am on Tuesday, August 30, 2022, until 4:00 pm on Friday, September 9, 2022. Appointments are recommended.
Nomination documents may be delivered by hand, mail, fax or other delivery service. Originals of faxed nomination documents must be received by the Chief Election Officer by 4:00 pm on Friday, September 16, 2022. Appointments are recommended.
Elections BC will manage the financial requirements and reporting for all election candidates as per the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act. For more information call 1 855 661-8683.
Want to learn more?
- FAQs for Port Alberni candidates
- Watch this video (link is external) from the Ministry of Municipal Affairs, for candidates who are thinking of running for office
- Candidate's Guide (link is external) from the Ministry of Municipal Affairs, for candidates who are thinking of running for office
- Thinking About Running for Local Office? (link is external) from the Ministry of Municipal Affairs
Candidates Information Session - August 17, 2022
Interested in serving your community as Mayor or Councillor? Learn what it means to serve as a member of Council, as well as local government basics, roles and responsibilities, decision-making, responsible conduct, relationships and more!
Prospective candidates are strongly encouraged to attend this informative session which is being jointly hosted by the City of Port Alberni and Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District.
- Date: Wednesday, August 17, 2022
- Time: 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm (or whatever timing formatting is best)
- Location: City of Port Alberni | City Hall, 4850 Argyle Street, Port Alberni, BC
Questions? Please contact the City of Port Alberni's Chief Election Officer at 250 720-2823.