Bylaw Services Department
Bylaw Services Department
The Bylaw Services Department is directed to increase public safety within the municipality, uphold community bylaws, and reduce nuisances.
The Bylaw Enforcement officers field complaints from the community, other City departments and outside agencies (such as RCMP, Fire and Conservation). They investigate matters, mediate and enforce using education, warning, and legal recourse as appropriate to each case. Voluntary compliance is always preferred and appreciated.
Enforcement for animal control has been contracted to the SPCA (Alberni-Clayoquot Branch) located at 4936 Broughton St. Port Alberni, B.C., telephone (250) 723-5269 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coming in 2021, the creation of a Public Safety Building will be materializing in the Uptown District. This office will house Bylaw Services and Community Policing, as well as include space for other agencies.
Bylaw Services serves our community through proactive and reactive response processes.
What Does "Proactive" Mean?
- Observing violations and investigating an offence;
- Conducting inspections to verify compliance; and
- Public awareness and preventative initiatives.
What Does "Reactive" Mean?
- Investigations that are initiated in response to a complaint.
Complaints are kept confidential; however, your information must be provided when filing a complaint. Anonymous complaints will not be accepted. The City seeks to obtain voluntary compliance on most issues through education and constructive, respectful dialogue.
To make a complaint there are a couple of options, fill out an online form, submit a complaint to the office drop box, mail in a written complaint or by calling the Bylaw Department.
- Complete and submit the online form: Bylaw Services - Complaint Form
- Submit a written complaint to City Hall @ 4850 Argyle Street
- Mail to City Hall, 4850 Argyle St, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 1V8
- Call 250-720-2831
For any matters requiring immediate attention, please contact the local RCMP office at 250.723.2424.
Some common bylaws the department handles regularly include:
Boat, RV and Trailer Parking and Storage Regulations
The City is reminding residents to remove boats, recreational vehicles, travel trailers, and utility trailers from city streets and boulevards.
Under Traffic Control Bylaw #4670, no vehicle shall be parked on the street for the purpose of storage. This bylaw is in place to help reduce parking congestion, increase pedestrian safety, improve sight lines and ensure efficiency of street sweeping, snow removal, and garbage collection services.
For more information, click here.
Graffiti Removal Program (GRP)
- We welcome calling in or emailing (email@example.com) – we only require the address where the graffiti is located (no other information is required). We welcome public or private property reports (all graffiti observed)
- Download the Graffiti Removal Program Package
- The City of Port Alberni Noise Control Bylaw regulates or prohibits the making or causing of noises or sounds that disturb the quiet, rest, peace, enforcement or convenience of individuals or the public and includes:
- From 11:00pm - 9:00am: Amplification of sound, including radios and stereophonic equipment is not permitted.
- From 10:00pm - 7:00am: Noise due to construction is not permitted.
- Prohibited at any time: Noise caused by any domestic animal or bird that is persistent and creates a disturbance by its cries, barks, or howls.
- Should you need to perform work outside of the permitted hours specified in the Noise Bylaw, please fill out the Noise Permit and submit to the Development Services Department.
Noise Complaint Logs: Noise logs assist the Bylaw Department with noise offence information as they cannot always attend during the time of the offence. All requests are confidential and personal information will not be disclosed to any member of the public including the alleged offender. Your name and information may only be disclosed as required in the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Noise log
- The City of Port Alberni Property Maintenance Bylaw prohibits the accumulation of filth, discarded materials, rubbish, and other noxious or offensive matter on property.
- The City of Port Alberni Building Standards Bylaw sets the standard for building maintenance and regulating vacant buildings.
Traffic and Highways
- The City of Port Alberni Traffic Regulation Bylaw is enacted pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Act, the Local Government Act, and the Highways Act to regulate the traffic and use of highways within City limits.
- It is illegal to post signage on City owned property without authorization. The Bylaw Officer will remove signage when it is illegally posted.
- Private Property: signage installation is regulated by the Sign Bylaw and a Sign Permit must be approved. Contact the City Building Inspector at 250-720-2832 for more information.
Snow Removal From Sidewalks
- Pursuant to the Traffic Regulation Bylaw, owners or occupiers of any premises in a business district shall remove snow from sidewalks and footpaths bordering the property owned or occupied by them not later than 12 noon of any day except Sundays and other holidays.