The Business Licensing Bylaw 4951 regulates the operation of businesses within the City. With the exception of Government and Crown Corporations, all businesses located or operating in the City are required to have a Business Licence. Development Services issues Business Licenses and ensures compliance of the Business Licensing Bylaw by working closely with Planning, Fire and Building departments. If a compliance issue exists, the Bylaw Enforcement officer is then involved. The Intercommunity Business License Bylaw is now available in Port Alberni.
Also available through the City is the Inter-community Business Licence. This licence, which must be purchased in addition to the regular Port Alberni Business Licence, allows businesses to move from client to client in more than one participating municipality. Examples of this are plumbing contracts, electrical work, home or commercial cleaning and pest control, among many others. The benefits of such a licence include both time and money savings for the business owner. For a list of participating municipalities and details regarding the Inter-community Business Licence Bylaw click here. For applications, see options below.
Applying for a Business License:
- Read Steps To Starting a Business in Port Alberni prior to submitting an application for a Business Licence.
- Work through the Business Licence application or submit online here.
- If you will be operating a business from your home see Home Occupations for information about running a business from your own home.
- If you are a Mobile Vendor read the Mobile Vending Policy.
- If applicable, apply for an Inter Community Business Licence here.
- SOCAN - If you use music, live or recorded, in your business or for your event you must comply with Federal Copyright Law.
- Complete and Submit the application form.
APPLY ONLINE BELOW
If you will be doing business only within city limits - Submit a Port Alberni Business Licence application form.
If you will be doing business outside city limits - Submit both the Port Alberni Business Licence application form AND the Inter Community Business Licence application form.
If not submitted online, please submit your completed application form and any supporting documentation:
BizPaL Online Business Permits and Licences - For assistance with all levels of government regulatory requirements for a new business click on BIZPAL