Non-Resident Property Elector

Non-Resident Property Elector

The property must be in the name(s) of individuals and not in the name of a company.

If you own property in the City of Port Alberni, but live somewhere else in British Columbia, you may be eligible to vote as a non-resident property elector if you:

  1. Are a Canadian citizen; AND
  2. Are, or will be, 18 years of age or older, on or before general voting day; AND
  3. Have lived in BC for at least 6 months (as of April 14, 2022) prior to registration; AND
  4. Have owned the property in the City of Port Alberni for at least 30 days before you register to vote (as of September 14, 2022); AND
  5. You must not be eligible to register as a resident elector in the City of Port Alberni; AND
  6. Are not disqualified from voting by the Local Government Act or any other act.

When registering, you will be required to provide two pieces of identification: one containing your name and address, the other with your name and signature. In addition to the identification, you will need satisfactory proof of ownership in the form of a tax notice, assessment notice or other legal documentation proving property ownership, such as a bill of sale issued prior to Wednesday, September 14, 2022.

Non-resident property electors can only vote once, regardless of the number of properties they own in the City of Port Alberni.

If more than one person owns the property, only one owner may register and that person must have the written consent of a majority of the other owners; and

Section 66(1)(f) of the Local Government Act states that the only persons who are registered owners, either as joint tenants or tenants in common, are individuals who are not holding the property in trust for a corporation or another trust.

If you meet all the requirements, you may register on the day you vote at either an advance voting opportunity or on general voting day. However, if more than one person is registered as an owner on the property's land title, a "Non-Resident Elector Consent Form" containing signed consent from the majority of the registered owners is required.

The "Non-Resident Elector Consent Form" is written consent from the majority of the registered owners appointing one of the registered owners as the non-resident property elector for the property.

I own a company or business located within the City, do I get a vote?

No - a corporation is not entitled to be registered as an elector or have a representative registered as an elector. There is no corporate vote in British Columbia.