You will be required to provide two pieces of identification: one containing your name and address, the other with your name and signature.
If you do not have documentation showing residency, then two pieces of identification (at least one with a signature) are still required and you must then make a solemn declaration as to your residency.
ACCEPTABLE FORMS OF ID INCLUDE:
- BC driver's licence
- BC identification card issued by Motor Vehicle Branch
- Owner's certificate of insurance and vehicle licence issued by ICBC
- BC CareCard
- Birth certificate
- SIN card issued by Human Resources Development Canada
- Canadian passport
- Citizenship card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada
- Real property tax notice issued by City of Port Alberni
- Credit card or debit card issued by a savings institution
- A utility bill for electricity, natural gas, water, telephone or cable services.
(Other documents MAY be accepted at the discretion of the PEO)
You may vote in the election as a resident elector if you:
- Are a Canadian citizen; AND
- Are, or will be, 18 years of age or more on or before general voting day; AND
- Have lived in BC for at least 6 months (as of April 14, 2022) prior to registration; AND
- Have lived in or have owned property in the City of Port Alberni for at least 30 days (as of September 14, 2022) prior to registration; AND
- Are not disqualified from voting by the Local Government Act or any other act.
If you meet all of the above requirements you can vote and it does not matter whether you rent or own your home.
Detailed voter information is included in the attached pdf below.